December 3, 2013

Email 12-2-13

This week was one of the best and worse at the same time.

So, my companion got sick and couldn’t do our baptismal interview so I called the Zone leaders, we did an emergency exchange and we got it done.   She ended up choosing me to baptize her, which is always awesome.   We marked the baptism last Sunday, let the bishop and his counselors know.  In the middle of the week we went by to remind them again.   Saturday arrived and we called the bishop to confirm that he would be there.   He straight up said. ``Saturday is my day to rest, I don’t think I’ll go.``   We hung up the phone and went straight to his house.   He was literally doing NOTHING at home.   He just did not want to go.   I kind of feel bad, but I laid into him.    I didn't even know I knew Portuguese well enough to be able to talk to him like that.   He got annoyed that we were telling him how a bishop should act about baptisms and went inside.   With a little bit of hope we went to the chapel and called one of the counselors.   He had forgotten and went to play soccer.   And the other counselor was at his class.   We called the assistants and they said without a member of the bishopric there, you can’t perform the ordinance but to call the mission President to make sure. We called him.   I have never heard him sound so sad about anything in my life.   Not with us, but with the leaders in our ward.   He authorized the baptism only because we have been working with her for two months straight and we did our part.  We won’t be punished for others not doing their part. Almost no one was going to be at the baptism without the leaders so we scrambled to go to a recent converts house. She said she remembered the baptism but couldn't go because she was getting lunch ready and both her kids were naked running around.   We explained the situation and she said two words that changed my life.   EU VOU (I will go)   She said, ``give me five minutes to put some clothes on my kids and we’ll be there.``   It is amazing to me that a member for 8 months is more firm in the gospel than some others in our ward.   We ended up with like 10 people at the baptism and it was actually a really good meeting. Thanks to the people that showed up with a minutes notice.

I didn't tell this story for any other reason but to ask everyone that reads this letter to be a better member missionary.   Support the missionaries, and the leaders of the church, and don’t stay at home with nothing to do when people really need your help. Another experience really quick..

My companion was on exchanges this week walking in the street and a man called out.. ``ELDER`` They walked over, got to know the man and found he has been inactive for years. But when he was active he held callings in the priesthood and what not.   My companion said, ``We need men in our ward with the priesthood. We need you at the church.``   He said those same words.   EU VOU.   And he was there on Sunday with plans to be there every single week for the rest of forever.

My testimony grew more this week than any other week on my mission.

I love being here. I love the work. I love helping the people we come in contact with.
-Elder Kyler Blane Farr
***************************************************************************************
Kyler       Shannon (most of mine is deleted - what Kyler has to say is so much more interesting!!)

I’m here

How are you?

I’m good!!   After all of the drama of yesterday and Saturday,  I’m good!!   I got some pics of the baptism but my computer isn’t working very well.   I’ll see if it’ll work on my companion’s computer. :)  And you!?

I’m sweating in an air-conditioned room!   so........... yeah..   but it’s okay! :)   (I was cold this morning and hesitantly told him so!!)  Last week we watched Kung Fu Panda.   Ha ha   my companion had never seen it. 
I forgot to tell you that I had a meeting with the stake president about the bishopric and he’ll make it all good. :)

The problem is, there it literally NO ONE to replace him bishop).   There are four men in the ward that are active and worthy to hold a calling like that.   One is the bishop.   The other one is moving and the other two have been divorced recently  (from a temple sealing)  and have to wait 10 years to be bishop.   One man moved into the ward two weeks ago and I think he will be the new bishop.   I hope so.   It’s so sad to see a ward lacking men with the priesthood.

Yeah.. when we got here there were 40 people going every week.   Now we have a constant 60.   We’ll be going in like ten minutes but I love you guys!   Have a wonderful week! :)

I love you and we’re out of here for reals now.  love you

That's a beautiful name!!!   But as far as pronunciation goes, you're looking at it as a Portuguese talking Brazilian, not an American!!!  LOL   

Toy story, and if we have time, we’ll watch epic in English to understand it better!!   The translation and the voices are really weird in Portuguese!!   But we’re outta here!!     Love you mommy!!!