December 30, 2012

MTC Letter 12-14-12

Well, I love it here at the MTC. We study for about 8 hours every day... in the same classroom! It gets old so we have to do some things to keep ourselves normal without going crazy! We just try to come up with games and what not.

Umm me and my companion are getting along pretty well. we just finished teaching our first 'investigator', his name was V____ from Portugal. Portugal Portuguese is very different from Brazilian. It is hard enough to understand what people are saying in Portuguese as it is. But having the words pronounced differently makes it almost impossible. We relied on the spirit most of the time to help us understand what he was saying, and to help him to be able to understand us. Before the first lesson we didn't pray before :( ha ha we forgot, and it went horribly wrong. So we took that as a learning experience and decided to pray before every lesson after that. We always pray for the gift of tongues before every lesson, and it really helps! I didn't pick up most of what he was saying! it is such a good feeling to be able to communicate with people in a different language.

We have devotionals on Tuesday and firesides on Sundays. The spirit is so strong during those meetings, having so many people willing to serve the Lord in one room. It is truly amazing.

The language is coming more and more every day; we are able to pray now without looking at paper. They are simple prayers but we do know them! :) I don't know how many people in our district can, but my companion and I can bear our testimonies without help too. It is just one of those things that help bring the spirit while we are teaching. They are so impressed that after one week we can share our thoughts on the gospel in a different language!

(when dropping him off at the MTC) I didn't know what to think when we were walking away. I was kind of in shock. I got into the classroom and our teachers were talking in Portuguese only. I didn't have time to think what was happening. That night it all set in. I was thinking, "What am I doing here? Two years is too long!" ha ha What a stupid thought that was! I couldn't be happier anywhere else! This is the best! I am so happy to be apart of spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ to the people of Brazil. Even though I'm not in Brazil yet, I am so glad to be here. I know we are where we are supposed to be at this time. There are 9 people in my district that are going to Fortaleza!! Sister missionaries included.

And by the way, as soon as our VISAs come through we will be leaving a few days after. They usually come in one Fridays and you leave by the following Tuesday. That being said, I am hoping I am here for Christmas. I have heard that the Prophet and his counselors are coming but I don't know how true that is. I hope it's true! But I'm not sure if it is.

Every day I think about what Dad told me, about if he could switch me places, he would. That helps me stay focused. It helps me want to be the best I can be. This will be the best 2 years of my life!

I miss you guys! I love you all! Elder Kyler Blane Farr